29 March 2017

The impact of library administrative responsibilities

One of the biggest changes since taking on library administrative responsibilities is the reduction in traditional library tasks such as the reference desk. I am still required to supervise and assist library readers, but this is only needed when they have booked an appointment to use the Library and its facilities. The awareness of the libraries within the organisation is growing through object handling and teaching sessions with students. However, requests to use library materials are only a few per month.

This has freed up my time to organise and manage library projects such as the Southeast Asia books move, while continuously cataloguing our retrospective stock. The ability to personally shape the library's collection development through administering library budgets in acquisition, journal subscription and binding, has allowed an overall strategic plan for the library to develop.

For example, my budget management responsibilities have assisted me to effectively resource manage and reduce overspend in unused supplies. Financial record keeping has also been important. They provide information about previous acquisitions that have yet to be catalogued and help reduce the likelihood of unwanted duplication. I also oversee potential book orders which have identified subject areas in high demand. I believe one of my best achievements in my role is the ability to show leadership in delegating all this information to volunteers and assign priority tasks over time.

Administrative responsibilities such as these may take time away from cataloguing and being within the Library. However, I have learnt that they are essential to influence the direction of library operations. Therefore, I have been looking forward to influencing the Library's future development.

No comments:

Post a Comment